Thursday, February 13, 2014

Top Shelf Short Stories: Hope

Hope
by Dan DeWitt

Maybe I'm sleepy? Maybe I really shouldn't piggy back my posts anymore? Maybe...I don't know. 

I really enjoyed this short story. That was not the problem. There was no problem really, just this feeling that I'm not "getting it." 

Let's assume that I know what I'm talking about.

So, the narrator in this story is traveling to a town named Haber in search of that "one" person. I don't believe he says it directly, but I believe he's implying the "one" who will fall in love with him and vice versa. The reader basically follows the narrator as he's traveling and he's having these thoughts about what he wants to happen and who he wants to eventually find. Then there are certain instances where these random thoughts pop up. Well, I say random - but I'm sure they're planted purposely. 

One is where he mentions a previous friend he knew, Dave, and Dave's wife who fell ill and died soon after getting sick. The narrator's thoughts focus on his reaction to the wife's death - and the fact that he kept her wedding ring on a necklace around his neck. 

Second is where he mentions a sickness as he nears the town (or is in the town). The sickness isn't mentioned anywhere else (unless I totally missed it) and it honestly made me think that he's a vampire or something of the like and perhaps he's the reason his friend's wife died? Maybe why his friend disappeared?

Third is when the narrator mentions as a cliffhanger at the end (yup, spoiler) when he notices the other wedding ring on his finger and thinks, "Oh yeah, I once had a friend..." I took this to mean that either (1) yup, he killed another friend's wife or (2) that is his wedding ring of a time long long ago (and maybe, vampire?). 

So, I did enjoy the story, but it made me have a lot of questions - which isn't a bad thing.

Verdict

Read it. Give it a shot. If you don't like not knowing, maybe move along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment