Sunday, March 23, 2014

Review: Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass
by Sarah J. Maas

Synopsis

In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien. 

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.




Review

I've owned this book for awhile and finally picked it up a few days ago. I've been in a kind of reading slump so it took me a bit to get into the story. However, when I finally sat down and just read - wow. I just love this story! It could be because I've gotten into fantasy/adventure stories lately and my on-going love for all kick ass girls. I just simply love LOVE the character of Celaena Sardothien. She's a contradiction in how simple she is (a girl who loves books, food and music and flirting every now and then) and complicated (her sad past and assassin ways). I found her to be quite refreshing since she was able to make sacrifices and work toward her goal of being free. Celaena is loyal and caring and fierce as well. 

Although the love triangle is nothing unique, I did find the male characters to be. An arrogant prince is nothing new - but a prince who plays arrogant who actually has a kind heart? Yeah, I'm up for that even though I am totally loving Chaol. He's my favorite for being so quiet, loyal, strong and caring. Ugh, just LOVE. 

Anyway - add magic and mystery the mix and I'm hooked. I already ordered the second book and the collection of novellas. 

And as a plus - look at the cover. Just look at it. It's beautiful. There's a second hardcover going around that is less than lovely, so I'm glad I got this one in paperback with this cover. The two books I ordered are hardback, so I won't have a matching set :( but that's okay because LOOK AT THE COVER. 

Okay. Done.

Verdict

If you like a strong female character who isn't afraid of being honest but who is also caring and fun - Celaena is your girl. Plus magic - yes, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment