Saturday, September 6, 2014

Review: (In a Sense) Lost and Found

(In a Sense) Lost and Found
by Roman Muradov

Synopsis

The first graphic novel by rising star Roman Muradov explores the theme of innocence by treating it as a tangible object—something that can be used, lost, mistreated. Roman Muradov's crisp delicate style conjures a world of strange bookstores and absurd conspiracies.

Review

I went on Goodreads while I was reading this book so I could add it to my Currently Reading "shelf". While I was there, I stopped to look at other people's reviews. Someone said something like, "The problem wight his book is that it went completely over my head" or something like that. The person then went on to give this book two stars. 

Really? Are we punishing books (and their authors) for not understanding them now?

Now that I have that weight lifted from my shoulders - lets get on with my review. 

This book was art. Seriously - it's a beautiful book, both in its imagery and story. The illustration was dark and dream like - giving the story more of a magical realism feel. The story focuses on F. Premise and the fact that she's lost her innocence after a night of trouble sleep. Her father refuses to look at her due to not having her innocence and even people on the street seem to glare at her until she pulls on a pair of pants - then it's as if she ceases to exist. 

Maybe I'm wrong about everything here - but I believe that in this story, "innocence" is open to interpretation. Is it the girl's virginity we're talking about here? Or innocence in it's true meaning - and knowledge being it's ... corruptor? Like I said - interpretation. 

The heroine of this story is fantastic. She's smart and independent. The ending is what got me to really like her - but I'm not into spoilers, you know that!

Verdict

Read this with an open mind. It's unlike any book I've ever read - and that is a very good thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment