Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Review: Cinder

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles Book 1)

by Marissa Meyer

Synopsis:


Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Review:

I have to be honest. When I first started reading this book - I was afraid I was going to be giving it a negative review. DON'T JUDGE ME. I thought that because it took me a bit to get into it (which was true, but it wasn't the book's fault, it was because I had other things to do at the time...). 


Cinder is a re-telling of the Cinderella fairy tale, except that in this case, Cinder is a cyborg mechanic in future Beijing. She lives with her evil stepmother/guardian, an equally evil stepsister and a younger stepsister, Peony, whom she actually loves. Her world is currently undergoing a matter of different threats: there is a fatal and contagious disease spreading, the emperor is dying, and Cinder is unaware of what to do with Prince Kai's sudden attention.

I ended up loving this book way more than I thought I would. I was never a fan of the Cinderella story, but this cyborg re-telling of it just completely got my attention. I very much enjoy fairy tale re-tellings, especially when the lead character is as smart and badass Cinder is. Prince Kai was also not too shabby!

This book left me wanting more and I cannot wait until Book 2 comes out (though I wonder if there will be an introduction of more fairy tale characters re-told?). This was a fantastic book that I recommend to YA, Sci-fi and fairy tale enthusiasts alike!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment