Sunday, January 26, 2014

Review: Windows: A Broken Fairy Tale


Windows: A Broken Fairy Tale
by Casey Bramble

Book Synopsis

Hush little baby don’t say a word 
The Darkness hides in an ivory bird 
But if that ivory bird can’t sing 
That’s when the Witches’ Hammer swings. 
 -- Nursery rhyme 

 A year ago Sarah Petty could not dream of the life she now lived. In those days she was one of the downtrodden masses; an unremarkable body upon which the upper caste built their castles of gold. Luckier than most, she at least had her blacksmithing skills to keep a roof over her head, though she went hungry more often than not. All of that changed with one fatal decision. 

She said yes. 

Lady Raven Chandlish, a sorceress with a smile that lit up the night and enough magical power to level a city, asked Sarah to open a shop with her in a different duchy. After moving things felt like they were on a definite upswing. There was food in the cupboard, money in the bank, and someone she might be falling in love with. Sarah didn’t dare pinch herself just in case it was all a dream. Like all dreams, this sunlit world was a feeble defense against the encroaching darkness. 

Buried deep within Raven’s soul was Malleus Maleficarum, an ancient demon that nearly destroyed the world twice before. Drawing on feelings stronger than the weapons she forged, Sarah learned to trust Raven could contain the demon. Malleus had other plans. 

When enemies of the Chandlish family attacked, Malleus used a momentary distraction to take over Raven’s body. While hundreds of soldiers battled for the fate of cities, a terrified blacksmith battled for the fate of a world. With no hope of rescue, Sarah whispered into the leering face of madness, praying love would save her.

Review

Anyone who reads my blog knows that I'm not that into Science Fiction or Adult Fantasy. Not because I don't want to, mind you - but mostly because I never knew where to start and with what author etc. Thankfully for me, this story fell into my lap :D

Windows had some characters with wonderful descriptions. The whole world, really, was filled with detail and care. Although humorous at times, it also had its dark moments which really fleshed out the story. It was a great introduction to fantasy!

What I truly enjoyed were all the parallels in the story. I don't want to give them away, but it would be hard not to notice them once you start reading it. I believe that Bramble has a good series on her hands if she wishes to continue it - and I hope that she does!!

Verdict

Teen readers or parents of teen readers - proceed with caution? I add the question mark because my parents didn't care about what I read and I was brought up just fine :) To each their own! But I definitely recommend this story to the readers of fantasy or wannabe readers of fantasy like me :)




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reading Windows, and such a great review. Don't worry, there are four more books in the series and I'm working hard on the second one, Windows: The Ivory Tower.

    Glad you're over the bronchitis. Being sick during the holidays is the worst.

    EDIT: YAY!!! More random numbers. My friend has a blog where I get to use the numerical keypad so I basically stalk her blog, making inane comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for more books! Looking forward to it :)

      Also, thank you - being sick during the holidays is horrible and especially when it's bronchitis! Feeling much better now, thankfully!

      Delete