Thursday, February 6, 2014

Top Shelf Short Stories: Some Desperado


Some Desperado
by Joe Abercrombie

This is going to be an interesting review as I'm currently posting from my iPhone at a coffeehouse as I'm waiting for my husband to come get me. Photos and fancy banner to come later. 

Today I'm reviewing Joe Abercrombie's "Some Desperado" from the collection, Dangerous Women. "Some Desperado" is a story that takes place in the time of riding horses and bank robberies. It's about tough girl, Shy (sometimes referred to as Smoke) who is on the run after robbing a bank herself. Why had partnered up with a small band of thieves who suddenly decided the bank money wasn't enough and decide to turn Shy in for her reward money. 

Not waiting for anyone (especially a man) to come to her rescue, Shy has her brains and kickass strength to fall back on. That's when the hunters become the hunted, that's for sure!

I've never read anything by Abercrombie, but I'm definitely going to look for more stories by him! So far, I really enjoy how he writes his female character. To tell you the truth, his story just happened to be the first in the Dangerous Women collection I'm sampling from Amazon on my Kindle. It was a happy coincidence. 

Verdict

If you like kickass women and a bloody fight, you'll like this story!

No comments:

Post a Comment